AEW Climate Action Team
Our vision was to complete a number of projects throughout the school year that inspire climate action in our school, and also in the homes of all of our students. We want to empower students and their families to take daily action and adopt sustainable lifestyle choices and for our school, it’s students and staff to inspired the community.
Our projects included:
• Purchasing a greenhouse, LED grow lights & soil for seed starting to produce seedlings for our 12 garden beds.
• A waste sorting & recycling project in which students educated other students and the community and inspired a recycling program in a nearby apartment complex.
• A waste reduction initiative in which classes competed to reduce and properly sort lunch time waste. This project successfully reduced the waste produce in our school!
• A native species garden planted with seedlings started at our division’s land-based learning centre. This garden was designed and planted by students.
• An Active Routes to School Initiative in which our Climate Action Team encouraged students to walk, bike, rollerblade, or skateboard to school as opposed to being driven for a chance to win a draw for prize.
• A tree planting project.
• A bee house project using only repurposed household items.
Reflection & Celebration
The projects we started this year will continue into the future and have inspired a number of students and staff to join in on climate action at our school and in the broader community!